Instructions for Authors
The Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion
Revised on April 13, 2012 by the Editorial Board
(This document is intended for authors who would like to submit a manuscript in English. For those planning to submit a manuscript in Japanese, please refer to the Japanese version of the “Instructions for Authors”.)
The Journal of the Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion will consider any original contribution that advances health education and promotion.
The first and corresponding author(s) should be registered member(s) of the Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion. Other authors may be non-members of the Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion.
2. Deadline for submission:
There is no deadline for manuscript submission. Manuscripts may be submitted at any time throughout the year.
3. Types of articles considered:
- 1) The Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion welcomes original manuscripts that might contribute to health education and promotion. The Editorial Board does not accept manuscripts that have been published elsewhere.
- 2) As shown in Table 1, eight types of articles are considered for publication. Authors may choose the most suitable classification for their individual manuscripts.
|Description of content||Main text word count|
|Perspectives||Suggestions or opinions regarding theory and practice related to health education and promotion.||(1500 words)|
|Review articles||Review of articles related to health education and promotion, including the authors’ analysis and comment on the reviewed literature.||(3000 words)|
|Original articles||Original research or scientific observation related to health education and promotion.||(3000 words)|
|Field reports||Reports that describe activities in health education and promotion, including the authors’ analysis and discussion of the content.||(3000 words)|
|Special reports||Summary of invited lectures presented at academic conferences. Special reports are written in response to a direct request from the editorial board.||(2500 words)|
|Short communications||Concise summary of original research or articles related to the improvement of methods or techniques.||(2000 words)|
|Commentaries||Comments on articles written in response to a direct request from the editorial board.
||Reviews of academic books, comments from members, or letters to the editor (rapid responses to published articles).
- 3) In addition to the article types designated above, the journal may publish information derived from academic conferences, financial reports, and reports from the committee of the Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion.
- 4) Manuscripts should be written in English or in Japanese. Along with the manuscript, authors should submit an “Application Card”, “Submission Checklist”, “Copyright Transfer Agreement”, and “Disclosure of Potential Conflicts of Interest”. For those conversant in Japanese, please prepare such documents in the Japanese formats.
- 5) All research involving either human participants or materials of human origin should be undertaken in accordance with the principles set forth in the Declaration of Helsinki and other related ethical guidelines.
4. Peer review:
- The Journal of the Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion is a peer-reviewed journal. All types of submitted manuscripts are reviewed by the editorial board and two referees; if the manuscript is accepted, it will be published. Referees are blinded to the authorship and affiliations of submitted manuscripts.
5. Manuscript submission:
Although a manuscript may be sent by post, electronic submission is recommended.
- (1) Electronic submission
- a. Manuscripts should be organized as shown in Table 1 of “A Guide for Preparation of the Manuscript”, appended to the end of this document. All files should be in PDF or MS Word format.
- b. Manuscript submission is free. However, authors must pay for any offprints they wish to order. Reprint costs are as listed below.
|Number of pages in the main text||50copies||100copies||150copies||200copies||More than 200 copies|
|1 to 4 pages||3,000yen||5,000yen||7,000yen||9,000yen
||3,000yen per additional 50 copies
|5 to 8 pages||3,500yen||6,000yen||8,000yen||10,000yen|
|9 to 12 pages||4,000yen||7,000yen||9,000yen||12,000yen|
|13 pages and above||1,000 yen per additional 4 pages|
- Shipping fees must be paid in addition to the reprint costs listed above.
- A supplementary fee of 20 yen per copy must be paid for the cover page.
- If you wish to order more than 500 offprints, please consult directly with the secretariat of the Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion regarding costs.
- c. Print out, fill in and submit the submission checklist to the Editorial Board along with your manuscript by e-mail.
- d. Print out the “Copyright Transfer Agreement” and the “Disclosure of Potential Conflicts of Interest”. Fill in all contents and submit these forms to the Editorial Board along with your manuscript by e-mail or fax.
- (2) Submission by post
- Send (a), (c), and (d) above by registered mail to the Editorial Board.
- Address of Editorial Board:
- Ms. Fumi Tsuchiya
- The Secretariat of the Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion
- Nutrition Ecology, Kagawa Nutrition University
- 3-9-21 Chiyoda, Sakado, Saitama, JAPAN
- Zip Code: 350-0288
- Phone: (+81) 49-283-2310
- Fax: (+81) 49-282-3721
6. Decision, copyright, and publication fees:
- (1) The Editorial Board discusses and decides on the acceptance of manuscripts following a peer review process. Once a manuscript is accepted, authors are expected to submit the final revised version electronically. The Editorial Board may recommend changes in the designated article type or request specific changes to the manuscript content and/or format. In cases where the number of requested revisions exceeds three rounds, the Editorial Board may ask that the piece be submitted as a new manuscript.
- (2) Following the editors’ request for revision, please send the revised manuscript back to the Editorial Board within a month. Failure to respond to a request within three months will be considered as a withdrawal of the submission. Should authors prefer not to follow one or more of the comments from the referees or the Editorial Board, please include an appropriate justification at the time the manuscript is re-submitted to the Editorial Board.
- (3) Authors will be given one final opportunity to proofread their submitted manuscripts prior to publication. This is the time to correct typos or misprints; however, please note that substantive improvements or revisions to the manuscript will not be permitted at this stage. In case any discrepancies are found between the published version and the authors’ proof, the Editor may be contacted with a request for correction, which will be printed in the subsequent journal issue.
- (4) Accepted manuscripts become the property of the Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion.
- (5) When the designated word count is exceeded, a printing fee of 10,000 yen per extra page will be charged to the authors. The total amount to be levied will be specified after the paper is accepted for publication. Please post the printing fee and reprint cost (if any) to the bank account below.
- Japan Post Bank (Yu-cho Ginkou), Account Number: 00500-9-44161, Account Holder: Head Office of the Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion (Nihon Kenkou Kyouiku Gakkai Jimukyoku)
- (6) Manuscripts once submitted will not be returned.
- (7) Any further questions regarding manuscript submission may be directed to the Secretariat of the Japanese Society of Health Education and Promotion, the address for which is shown at the end of the preceding section above.